Fig Tree Header 2012

The Fig Tree History

The Fig Tree was founded in 1984 as a monthly publication covering and connecting the faith and nonprofit communities in the Inland NW (Eastern WA and Northern Idaho). The first issue was published May 1984. It began under the auspices of the Spokane Christian Coalition.

In 2000, The Fig Tree became an independent nonprofit, covering stories of people living their faith and values, connecting diverse people and encouraging respect and listening, and inspiring people to action both locally and globally. The Fig Tree is supported by donations of sponsors, some individuals, congregations, regional churches and ecumenical and interfaith organizations, area universities and nonprofits, and by advertisers and underwriters. It is also supported by volunteers, who help with all phases of planning, writing, editing, and distribution, and promotion.

The first issue in 1984 was 8 pages with 37 inches in ads. The current issues contain 12 to 16 pages with 280-320 inches in ads. Grants for the Rural-Urban Connections Project and the Interactive Website Project added to the growth in the early years.

The Fig Tree is:

 

 

Published by The Fig Tree, 1323 S. Perry St., Spokane, WA 99202
509-535-4112 / 509-535-1813


GU Opus Award 2014

Fig Tree donate ad

 

Comment on this article

facebook logo
on our Facebook page


twitter logo
on our Twitter feed

Bookmark and Share

Share this article
on your favorite social media