The June/Summer issue is The Fig Tree's annual camp issue, exploring how the region's faith communities use time in nature and intensive community experiences to strengthen faith commitments.
Camp Cross celebrates its 100th year of operations since Bishop Herman Page bought property at Loff's Bay on Lake Coeur d'Alene in 1923 for a summer school and a retreat and training center for clergy and lay persons in what was then the Missionary District of Spokane.
He sold the property to his successor, Bishop Edward Cross, who sold it to the district (diocese) for $1. It continued the focus on clergy renewal until Bishop Russell Hubbard changed the mission to be a summer camp for youth and adults and named it Camp Cross for Bishop Cross.A capital campaign in the 1980s brought upgrades in the 1990s, improving meeting spaces and cabins for year-round use. The camp, however, is used from May to September because . . . .